-To collect, acquire, secure, preserve and display records and materials pertaining to Atkinson's history at the Kimbal Museum in the Parson Peabody House.
-To restore, replace and preserve by any method necessary, on site or by moving, historical objects of any kind, such as monuments, buildings, gravestones, etc.
-To maintain guardianship over whatever presents itself under the term "Atkinson New Hampshire History".
The Town of Atkinson NH
Origin: Atkinson was named in 1767 for Colonel Theodore Atkinson, whose farm covered nearly all of the several hundred acres set aside from Plaistow that become the town. Colonel Atkinson was a brother-in-law to Governor Benning Wentworth, served as secretary of the colony until the Revolution, and was on of the Masonian Proprietors who parceled out New Hampshire lands to over 30,000 settlers. Colonel Atkinson bequested funds to establish Atkinson Academy, incorporated in 1787. In 1809, the state granted 13,000 acres of land in Coos County to the Academy, in unincorporated place now know as Atkinson & Gilmarnton Academy Grant.