The Atkinson Academy was founded ruring the depression period which followed the American Revolution. Dr William Cogswell, General Nathan Peabody and Parson Stephen Peabody are credited with founding the Academy.
Construction of the first Adacemy building, at he corner of Meditation Lane and Academy Avenue was begun sometime during the spring of 1786. 1791 was a noteworthy year for Atkinson Academy, it was the year that Polly Peabody, the Parson's daughter, entered that institution as a student. Her admission gave the Academy the right to claim the distinction as being the second co-educational academy in the country.
One Room Schoolhouse
Tax records from the early 1800s indicate as many as 6 separate school districts within Atkinson.